Thursday, December 14, 2006

Still Here!

I am in an odd place right now, not entirely through choice.

I finished my Half and I am planning to run the full marathon at the Flying Pig. Training for that won't start until the first of the year so I am kinda between programs. On top of that, I am a single mom until we make the move to reunite with my husband, which puts a damper on my running. Still, I have managed to go out for a few runs. Last week, it was in the bitter cold of 19F and this week, it was 68F. What a difference.

My marathon goals, as of now are to: finish! First and foremost, I just want to finish. If I can finish around 5:30, that would be great....I may change that time as it gets closer.

So right now, I am torn between three different marathon training programs and would like reader input on them. I think all are good plans, I like parts of each and may end up mixing and matching the various things I like to create my own.

First up is Hal Higdon's Novice training guide. The longest run is a 20 miler, in week 15. It seems kinda light on the weekday milage and there are no speed or tempo runs at all included. Still, I know it is a solid plan and would work.

Second choice is sticking with Hal but using his Intermediate I program. This has the speed/tempo work that is missing in the Novice program, it is heavier on the milage and it has a 20 mile run in both week 13 and week 15. I am leaning more towards this one over novice but would it be too much?

Third choice was using Runner's World Smart Coach I plugged in my time for St Jude's and it gave me a Personalized Training Guide (Ignore the dates) I really like this one...I think perhaps the best. I like that it has some speed/tempo in there, the milage seems to be about right and that it has two 20 milers in there as well.

Soooo....advise me please! I know I will be able to tap into the knowledge locally when I move but I would like to have something in mind so I can maintain until then.

Saturday, I am doing a 5K. For the first time, I am not going to really focus on time. I am planning to wear a Santa hat, bells and just have fun! No, I am not going to totally ignore the clock (sorry, I am anal, I can't) but as long as I am under.....a time to be determined later, I will be fine with that.

No comments: