Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Six AM

It is just too stinking early in the morning to be up, let alone out running.

I have to get up at 5:40 am to get my 14 year old to his seminary class at church. I am back in the house by 6:05 am. Now, I could easily go back to bed until the other kids need to get up but I made the decision to go running. This knocks it out for the day, I have Greg at home (sleeping) while the kids are sleeping and I don't have to worry about trying to fit the run in later in the day.

Even with all that, it is still too early to be out running! I got on my running skirt, my shirt, got my reflective belt and even got my iPod...I was set.

I dropped Nicholas off and came home. I brought everything out of the house with me so I would not be tempted by anything going into the house. My iPod was dead. It was my own fault, I forgot to turn it off and the battery ran down. I don't normally run with it anyway so it was no great loss.

I ran 3 miles doing a 3 min run/3 min walk schedule. I started out in the dark and it was daylight by the time I was done. It was about 58F and just beautiful out. This is the first run in ages where I have not been totally dripping in sweat. It is also the first run since May that I have gone on without my hat.

The run was slow going, slower than if I ran it. I don't know why I am surprised by that, I shouldn't be. I am walking a significant chunk, something I have not done before. I am confident that as I continue on and increase milage, I will see an improvement in times. I ran up to the high school since I didn't want to be out on the trail in the dark.

As I was coming back, Ryan was at the bus stop. He avoided eye contact and acted like he didn't see me. What a little snot. Still, I imagine at 13 I would have ignored my mother in similar circumstances. I know he saw me because I waved to him about a block away and he turned the other direction. Boy, maybe on Friday I should stop and give him a sweaty hug.

When I got into the house, it was still so quiet. No one was up, even Tinsel (the dog) didn't want to get up. Greg got up about 15 minutes after I got home. I think he overslept because he was dressed when he came down - dressed in work clothes and normally he rides his bike to work. He drove today, usually a sign he overslept.

I think I chipped my kneecap during the run on Saturday. It is so incredibly tender right now. I can't put any weight on it (like kneeling) or have anything touch it. Interesting enough, running and walking doesn't bother it at all. There is no pain (except if I touch it) so I don't think there is much that can be done other than ice it and take tylenol. I never realized how many things I did with knee until I can't. I closed doors, knelt on the floor, used it to block the dog or the kids, stop a door from closing.

Tomorrow I am just going to walk Tinsel at 6 am and then run again on Friday. I have another week before I start actually ramping up for the Goofy.

No comments: