Friday, April 14, 2006

I did it!

Even though I have neglected to check in for quite some time, I have not faltered in my program.

I continued doing my three times a week run with my group preparing for a 5K race on April 9th.

Wowie, it was a lot warmer on the 9th than it has been. It wasn't the temperature so much as the fact it was a beautiful, clear day with the sun beating down.

Race time was at 1 pm and I needed to get my chip before 12:50. I missed our last run so I was not sure where my group was, which was not good because I wanted to be with my pace buddies. I found them and got my chip and Kaity's chip. Nicholas opted out of the 5K at the last minute. After I put the chip on and walked 2 steps, it snapped off so I had a mild panic trying to get back to the registration table to get more zip ties to get it on my shoe so it wouldn't flop around.

Since I am far from a fast runner, I lined up near the back with the strollers. Greg was at the first corner to get pictures and after looking, I look near death just as much at the beginning of the run as I do at the end.

Right after the first hill, the unthinkable happened, my shoe became untied! Now, never during training was this ever a problem...I never had it come undone. You betcha I double tied then.

I am not sure if it was the heat or what but I felt totally whipped today. I actually walked a few minutes during the course, I have not walked during a run for weeks.

My times were:

  • 1 mile 11:18
  • 2 miles 23:40
  • 3.1 miles 37:12 I am not displeased with it but since I know I could do better, I was a bit disappointed in myself.

In the week since the run, I have continued my three times a week run and have actually improved my time. I did a 5K on Thursday and I ran it in 36:20! That is the fastest I have run it.

Since apparently we are gluttons for punishment, a group of us are running a 5K in Nashville tomorrow morning. We have plans to run a 10K in June, we are currently starting to increase our weekly runs to accomodate the increased milage.

I will post my race results tomorrow.

No comments: