Saturday, February 18, 2006

Frost Bitten Polar Bear

We had bad weather blow in overnight and I checked before I left to be sure the run was not cancelled this morning. There was no email so I bundled up and headed down to the fairgrounds.

The roads were not too awful, some patches of ice but still tricky in places so it was not surprising that there was little traffic on the roads.

Out of a group of nearly 30 in the class, 6 of us were dedicated (or stupid!) enough to show up. Grant, the trainer, said we could consider ourselves members of the frostbitten polar bear club for running this morning.

SnowstormIt was 23oF out when we started the run. There was ice on the road, a stiff cold wind blowing off the river (which finally was at our backs on the way back but made it feel like it was about 4oF out) and little sharp pellets of ice hitting my face while we ran. I say run but I know I was being much slower and cautious rather risk slipping and getting hurt.

We did 6 sets of 90 seconds of running, 2 minutes of walking. We had 5 minutes of warm up/cool down walking as well. We did stretch before the run but after the run, they shooed us to the cars and said take a warm shower at home and then stretch.

It dropped 5oF while we were running since it was 18F when I got back into the truck.

GPS said we ran 2.177 miles this morning.

The temperature continues to fall, it is now 10oF outside.

No comments: