Monday, February 20, 2006

Monday, Monday

Even though it was President's Day and the kids were home from school, I still managed to get a gym work out in. After I got dinner put in the oven, I dashed off for my workout.

I did my weights first. This is a new routine that David set up for me next week and let me tell you, my muscles are feeling the additional weight. I am not really working any different muscles, the same ones just in a different way. He also added weight to a few of them.

Apparently everyone else in town had the same idea to work out this evening so I had to wait for an elliptical to come open. Okay, well, really, I could have gotten on an elliptical right off but I admit it. I like a specific one so I try to wait for that one.

I did 25 minutes on the elliptical. ::huff, huff, pant, pant:: I tell you, that gives you a workout! What is disgusting is when you are standing there going, sweating and thinking you are doing great to see Calories Burned: 225 225??!! That isn't even a candy bar!! I am putting all this effort in for a stinking candy bar? Makes you think twice about eating that candy bar though.

When I first started going regularly to the gym again, I set the elliptical on manual settings. I started at level 1 and tonight I bumped it up to level 3. I didn't feel much of a difference except that my workout seemed to go faster. Of course, that could be because I wasn't worried about Rhys since he was with his daddy rather than with the sitter.

Yes, before you ask, today was Monday and thus a weigh in. I am holding steady at 213.8. I want to see a drop next week, I am tired of being in a holding pattern but no gain/loss is better than a gain, right?

As I was driving back to the gym, I was thinking about candy (yeah, still stuck on that 225 calorie mark I saw...you see why I normally cover the display with a towel when I work out). From mid September until April, there is just entirely too much candy available at stores. I know it is there all the time but starting in mid September, you get the holiday candies.

October: Halloween candies - suckers, taffy, Halloween Peeps
December: Christmas candies - mint M&M's, crimped candy, candy canes, peppermint nougat, Hershey gift baskets from relatives
February - Valentine candies - Dove chocolates, chocolate overload
April - Easter candies - jelly beans, Dove truffle eggs, Cadbury eggs

These all overlap too! The halloween candy is on the clearance aisle when they are stocking the Christmas stuff. I was looking for a heart shaped cookie cutter (no luck!) 2 days before Valentine's Day and they were stocking Easter candy. It is a conspiracy. It sucks. It sucks because I like candy, I want to eat candy but if I do, it is not a good thing. Moderation and chocolate just don't co-exist in my vocabulary so I have to stay away or I go overboard.

Another board I belong to, someone put these shirts up that I am going to order. It sums up things very nicely. The front says "No Excuses" with the back saying
No Emotion.
No Event.
No Party.
No Holiday.
No Family Member.
No Friend.
No Co-worker.

will keep me from my goal.
Today I will have no excuses.

No comments: