Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Ramblings

There is really no theme or specific reason for the posting today. I plan to jump around and hit several things.

Yesterday was the first of two mid week runs with my training group. We did 7 sets of 90 seconds of running with 75 seconds of walking. All total, we went 2.27 miles. I actually think the front runners went further. Since there is a large gap in the running abilities of everyone in our group, we get really spread out during the running bits. When we get to a certain point, Grant has the front runners turn around and go to the back of the last runner. This is done several times over the course of the run so I think we run a bit further since Grant stays mainly back with the slower runners. He does come forward to the front people though.

I find it interesting that I am consistantly one of the front runners. Why do I find it interesting? Mainly because I know I am ssslllloooowwww as a runner, I really am. SnailI know this for a fact but I am still up front during the run. I am not trying to keep pace either, I am just going at my own speed.

I have mentioned that I am on a plateau and I wonder if some of it is from adding weights into my routine. Muscle weighs more than fat and I know I am down inches if not pounds. I know my pants are looser too. People have commented that I look better.

My oldest daughter was stunned when she saw me in early January. I was down 40 lbs from the last time she saw me in August. Now, before you think I have some miracle weight loss secret, no such luck. She saw me right after I had given birth and a good portion of that weight was baby weight.

We get so hung up on the scale number that we watch that almost to the exclusion of all other signs of change and improvement. It is funny because with my children, who are smaller than they "should" be, I am always saying that the doctor should look at the baby not the scale. I guess we should heed that advice as well, look at the person and not just the scale.

My lil man Rhys was not feeling well today so I ended up skipping the gym this morning. Following dinner, I did go out to the gym. I got in 25 minutes on the elliptical and did my weights.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic to watch people heading into the gym, presumedly to get in better shape, smoking their last cigarette in front of the door before they go in? Beyond the yuck factor, it seems just stupid to be smoking prior to going in for a workout.

Tonight, in the weight room, I was waiting on the Ab Cruncher machine. It is a popular machine so I usually have to wait for a break between people and dart in to do my little sets. There was a woman hogging it tonight, yes hogging it. She would do a few reps and take a break, do a few reps and take a break. I know that is what you are supposed to do but the thing that really irked me about this is that she was yakking on her cell phone (loudly and in spanish) the entire time!! Get off the phone and do your workout or get off the machine to let others do their work out. I don't mind waiting if someone is working out but I thought this was asking a bit much. I finally did get my Abs worked out when she finally got off both the phone and the machine.

I do most of my weight work on my arms/shoulders since David, the trainer, said that my running will tone and work my legs. I start with a lateral pull down doing 30 lbs, 3 sets of 10. By the time I get to the last two, bicep curl and shoulder press, I am at 20 lbs and 15 lbs. It depends on which machine is open as to which I do last. Tonight it was the bicep curl and let me tell you, it was WORK to get 3 sets of 12 with 20 lbs.

Tomorrow is another run day, we are meeting at a local high school and I think we will be doing a track run.

No comments: