Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Memorial Day Dash

Yay! I finished my Memorial Day 5K Dash this morning. It started at 8 am down in Nashville. Even at 8 am, it was darn hot and humid. The course was a nifty but hilly one.

We ran around Greer Stadium (where the local baseball team plays), around Fort Negley (a Civil War era Fort built by the Northern Army while it occupied Nashville) and then through Nashville City Cemetary, the oldest exisiting public cemetery in the state. I even won a door prize....although there were no doors anywhere since we were outside. A friend of mine also won a door prize, a book about the history of the cemetery. She didn't want it so gave it to me, saving me $10 since I had planned to buy it.

I didn't beat my personal best record for 5K but I still had a good time and a 12:15 pace. The timers were all messed up, there was no mat to start the chips, the race clock was 90 seconds off the official time so I went by my watch time rather than the posted results.

I was thinking it was a fairly tough course, there was a lot of steep hills. I wrote it off as being me just not liking hills. I felt vindicated when I saw more experienced runners on the Nashville Striders page complaining about the tough course.

No comments: