Sunday, June 18, 2006

New socks, old shirt, same sweat

I was not able to get out running this last week due to day camp. I was whipped by the end of the day and just didn't have the get up and go to run as well.

I had plans to meet my running buddies this evening but rain had us all backing out. By the time it was getting dark, it was clear so I nabbed a kid to come along on a bike and went out running in the neighborhood.

I noticed that I have a lovely tan line on my ankles from my ankle socks so I got some no show socks. You would not really think socks would make much of a difference but my ankles felt naked and cool this evening. It was really weird that I could tell my ankles were bare. It could be that the pair I wore this evening were too thin since they were significantly thinner than my normal ankle socks. I have some thicker no show socks that I will try next.

I have been running in a running tank top for awhile now, no sleeves and a blend of fabric that doesn't hold sweat. Since the temperature dropped, we just had rain and it was dark out, I (foolishly) decided to just wear an old t-shirt to run in. I was sweat soaked before a mile. Incredible how much that shirt seemed to weigh wet and the sleeves made me hot. Note to self: no running in 100% cotton shirts.

I discovered some more interesting facts during my run this evening, besides naked ankles and heavy shirts. I discovered that spray deoderant doesn't offer the same odor protection that roll on does. I discovered that a hill is still a challenge, no matter the temperature, time or relative humidity is. I discovered that I like having someone with me, even if they never say a word and are just on a bike riding beside me.

My time stunk...not really but I was slower than I would have liked. I know if I had been with my buddies, I would have been faster. I did 3.15 miles in 41:34 for a blistering 13:14 pace. Embarrassed


Edit: I went back and re-checked my route after running it with my husband. He swore it had to be more than 3.1 miles and I insisted that I checked and it most certainly WAS 3.1 miles. Well, it wasn't. It was 3.41 miles! That means my 41:34 time put my pace at 12:13!!

Isn't it funny, not that long ago, I thought going out for a 2 mile run was a looooong run. Now, I don't really like to run less than 3 miles since it takes me more than a mile to warm up and hit my running groove.

No comments: