Sunday, August 06, 2006

I Fought and I Won!

I fought my inner loser today and while I eventually won, the inner loser did score some points.

I had planned to get up to meet Jim and possibly Anita down at the fairgrounds for a 5 mile run. Rhys had other ideas and was Mr. Fuss from about 3 am to 4:30 am. When my alarm went off at 6:20 am, I felt half dead. I figured it would not be a good thing to try to do my long run when I was feeling whipped.

After I had gotten up, I felt a lot better and looked at the temperature out. It was 84F, looked nice but didn't feel that bad. I checked the forecast and it looked like it was the cool point of the day so I decided it would be a good time to go out for my long run.

Mistake #1 - I have been running in the evening and first thing in the morning. Middle of the morning is a HUGE difference.

Since I normally run my longer runs at the fairgrounds, I had to come up with an alternate route here in my neighborhood. Greg suggested that I run my normal 3 mile route, then run it a second time, turning around at the 1 mile mark. I really didn't want to do that because when I get close to the house, I want to go home. I figured it would be okay to go run the Chapel Hill 10K route and just run the first 2.5 miles and turn around.

Mistake #2 - I don't like this route on a good day. It feels like it is hills both coming and going. There is also no shade.

I got my water out, got my cell phone and set out. My inner loser started to whine as soon as we got down in the gully right before the state line. Even though I was in the shade at that point, it is a pretty good climb to get out of the gully. I ignored the loser and finished my first mile in 12:08

Mistake #3 - I was going way too fast that first mile even though I felt great. My long slow day should be significantly slower than my normal training runs. My normal runs are closer to a 12:30 pace so I should have slowed down right then and there.

By the time my second mile was looming, my inner loser was winning. I was hot, I was sweaty, I was discouraged at how tired I felt and I just wanted to go home. I prevailed, I made it to the second mile in 13:29....much closer to the pace Chuck wanted me to do my LSD at.

As I looked ahead to the next mile, all I could see was the rise and fall of hills. I started to run, slowed down and my inner loser asserted herself and I ended up walking. I didn't walk all of mile 2 to mile 3 but it was a significant portion....as you can see by my time 19:45!!!

I stopped at mile #3 for a water break. While I sipped my water, I fought an internal batter with that loser. I knew I was only 2 miles from home, knew I could do 2 miles and knew that even if I had to slow down, I could run those two miles.

I started out to complete those two miles very slowly, the loser urging me to just give it up and walk. Loser wanted to me just sit on the side of the road, in the little shade provided, and call Greg to come get me. I did call him...to tell him I was in the final two miles and asked him to fill my orange mug with ice and water.

Mile 3 to mile 4 was a respectable 13:53 Considering I had done a lot of walking and everything, it not too awful and really, only a bit off the 13:40 pace suggested by Chuck.

Even though my last mile is mostly in the shade, it is down and then back out of a large gully. I slowed down even more but completed my last mile in 15:02

I found out a few things about this totally stinky run. I really need to stick to running in the morning or in the evening. I need to not run a route that I dislike as much as I dislike the Chapel Hill route. The temperature rose over 5F while I was out and the heat index was way up there too.

So, even though my inner loser won for a mile, I was able to shove her back down and complete my 5 mile run. Yep, my time sucked but I finished it and I will be back out there running again tomorrow...today is behind me. Despite everything, I had a victory and won.

Total Run Time: 1:14:30
Distance: 5 miles
1 mile: 12:08
2 mile: 13:29
3 mile: 19:45
4 mile: 13:53
5 mile: 15:03
Average pace: 14:54

Final Score: Denise 8 Inner Loser 2

No comments: