Monday, August 28, 2006

Long Slow Day and 85/85

I ran my longest run to date yesterday, 7 miles. We have been flirting with this run for a few weeks but it has been postponed a few times.

Five us met for the run. The course we run is marked for 10K. We decided to run to the 6 mile mark, turn around and then run back to the 5 mile mark rather than try to guess where the 7 mile mark would be.

I didn't start my stopwatch so I had to ask someone for the first mile time. I started my watch then. The pack is pretty much together still at the first mile but then we start to spread out.

By the third mile, I fell to the back of the pack, the gazelle was out front and then everyone else fell between me and the gazelle. The sun came out so we had to deal with that as well as the humidity.

Two people dropped to a walk about the 4.5 mile mark so I passed them. Another person decided to only run 5.5 miles but she did walk the full 7 miles. The gazelle finished and then joined me for my slow sprint to the 7 mile mark. My time was 1:28:03

1 mile: 11:43
2 mile: 12:37
3 mile: 12:11
4 mile: 12:51
5 mile: 12:57
6 mile: 12:44
7 mile: 13:17

Tonight, I had 4 miles on my schedule. This is where the 85/85 comes to play. Even though it was 8:00 PM out, it was 85F with 85% humidity. Yuck!

I came up on about the 1 mile mark (not sure since I don't have my neighborhood running routes marked), I felt drops on my arm. I knew I was hot and sweaty and was impressed that I was hot and sweaty enough to be dripping. Heh, it turned out to be a very light sprinkle.

When I got back from the run, Greg asked if it was raining. I said it sprinkled occasionally, not even enough to wet the sidewalk. The reason my shirt was soaking wet was SWEAT, not rain.

I did an easy run this evening.....49:23

No comments: