Monday, December 31, 2007

Smooth Move!

Since I had a later start going out running today, I could not run the trail near our house. The trail is closed after dark even though no one enforces it. There are deer out there and I don't really like the idea of one leaping in front of me so I skip the trail if I know it is going to get dark.

I went to MapMyRun to verify an alternate route that would give me the milage I wanted and still keep me in relatively familiar areas. To ensure this, I wrote the roads on my hand that would take me to a road I was familiar with.

I leashed up the dog and off we went. I consulted my hand to confirm we were on track and before I knew it, I was back in familiar territory.

As we passed by the road that lead back to the house, it was so tempting to just hang a left and go on home but I didn't. I kept going down until I got to my turn around point and then went home. When I got closer to the house, the run didn't feel like it was the distance I thought it was but I shrugged it off.

I downloaded the info and sure enough, it was almost a half mile short. Whaaaattt?? I went back to MapMyRun to see what I did wrong. The roads around here are kinda strange. The same road can cross a different road more than once. My first turn was a street too early, had I written 2nd Street Name, I would have been okay and gotten the milage I thought I had. Smooth...really smooth. Oh well, it was still a good run.

No comments: