Friday, September 01, 2006

Intervals and August Averages

This week, in a change of pace, I have just been running in the neighborhood rather than driving down to the fairgrounds to meet Samantha or Candi. I did my 5 miles on Wednesday morning in a respectable 49:23. It wasn't too bad, it was cooler than it has been but definately I could feel I was working for my time.

For the month of August, I ran 79.52 miles (52.86 for July) at an average pace of 12:21. I imagine that my milage for September will be going up too.

Today I met Chuck down at APSU for some interval work outs. First though, we did an easy 1 mile jog through campus. It felt easy even though it was a 10:59 mile.

We got out on the track and did...I dunno what you call it. It was not a sprint, just faster than normal where you lengthen your stride. We did a couple of those in front of the bleachers but stopped because my thigh muscles were feeling it.

He asked what my last 5K time was and said based on that (11:18 pace) that he wanted me to do a 3 x 1 mile intervals at 11:00 pace. Hello? Me? Sustain an 11:00 pace for three miles? I told him that I didn't think I could do that but I would try.

Let me tell you, Chuck never will let me live this down. After each mile interval, he would throw his hands up and say in a silly voice "Oh, I don't think I can do an 11:00 mile" Why was he doing this?

SmileyCentral.com1 mile - 10:25
2 mile - 10:36
3 mile - 10:45

After each mile, we would reverse directions and walk 200, then jog an easy 200 back to the start line.

When we finished the 3 x 1 mile, we did another half mile through the campus. He thinks that I still have a whole lot in me at the end of a 5K so I should be looking to hit a sub 30 minute time. I told him that I was aiming for a 10 minute mile and he said based on what I am doing now, I should be looking for a 9 minute mile! SmileyCentral.com

I have to share part of an email he sent to our group today, after our workout this morning.

I just thought you might all want to know. I am disappointed. You guys are progressing to quickly. I had to change the running plan.

I assumed we wouldn't break your mental barrier until at least October. Now I have to go back and rethink this whole workout thing.

Just kidding.

You guys are awesome. The thing I see the most important that you have done so far is the consistancy. That is very crucial. I am so excited to see you guys put your mileage up there and oh by the way. I looked back at the beginning of the season and everyone's paces are increasing and the comments on some do not seem so overwhelmed by the mileage.

I know some of you are sore. That is ok. Muscle soreness is expected. These next couple of weeks we will stay consistant on the easy days and only the long run on Sunday will be increased. This will be somewhat of a plateau in mileage for a couple of weeks so your legs can get used to this high mileage.

Keep up the mileage this weekend and have a great one. Everyone get 3 miles on Monday. Tuesday is going to be the dreaded hill workout and I want you to be rested.

Have a great weekend and I will see you guys next week.

Again you guys are kicking butt.


Isn't it funny how your inner lose always speaks up and convinces you that you are doing poorly, to the point that the loser words come out of your mouth? I know I would have BET on the fact that I could NOT do an 11:00 mile for 3 miles (even with a short break). After today, I think I actually will be able to break a 10:00 mile and get close to 9:00. I don't think I could sustain it for more than 5K but that is a goal I have now that I didn't have this morning.

No comments: