Sunday, September 17, 2006

Double Digits and a Blister

Today I joined the double digit club...we went for a 10 mile run for our long, slow day. It was a gorgeous day out, just over 60F, sunny and beautiful.

Chuck had a coaching seminar today so we were on our own. Jim had emailed he would be out in the back 40 so I said I would come out. Brittany and Samantha also planned to be there. When I got down there, Anita was also there so 5 of us planned to run 10 miles.

Brittany drove out on the course before we started and put some water at the 2.5 mile and the 5 mile mark.

We were out running on the back 40 of Ft Campbell. It is just the training area for the Army units, there are paintball ranges and today was also the first day of some kind of deer hunting season. Great! I wore pink and we were running on the road so it was okay.

The course we ran was a 5 mile out and back. Since it is in Tennessee, it is rolling hills. Since it is the back 40, there are large shady areas and equally large sunny areas. The course was not too bad until we got just past the 4.5 mile mark...then there was the butt kicking hill, the top of the hill was the 5 mile mark.

We stopped for some water for a moment. I brought some Clif Blocks and tried them out, they are like a concentrated gummy bear in square form. I tried the strawberry, they were nothing to write home about.

Going back, at the 5.5 mile mark was the second butt kicking hill. It was not as steep or long as the other one but still, a workout at that point in our run.

The last maybe 1.5 miles of the run went really well. We started to go downhill, we got a breeze and we had a lovely shaded area to finish the run in.

About half a mile from the finish, I told Jim that I had something in my shoe. I could feel something under the pad of my foot...like lint or something collected there. Since we were close enough to the finish, I just ignored it and kept running. After I got home, when I took my sock off I discovered it was not lint or anything in my shoe but a blister! I have never gotten a blister from running. I was wearing cool max socks, my shoes were properly fitted so I am not sure why I got one. In any event, it is not painful, it just feels weird.

Total run time - 2:01:26 (12:09 pace)
1 mile -11:17
2 mile-12:06
3 mile-12:11
4 mile-11:45
5 mile-13:02 (here be the butt kicking hill!)
6 mile-12:35
7 mile-12:13
8 mile-12:47
9 mile-12:33
10 mile-10:54

No comments: