Sunday, September 03, 2006

Eight Miles

I was sore after my track work out on Friday. Sore to the point that I really didn't want to run yesterday but I did. I was a good little runner and went out for my 3 miles. Let me tell you, it was one of my tougher three miles. Normally, three miles is not that major of a deal but when you are just not in the running mode, it is a looooooooooong three miles. I had to resort to the standby of "Okay, I will run to the white mailbox. Now, to the red truck." method of running. Even running with my mp3 player was not helping me yesterday.

Based on my run last night and the fact that my darling one year old decided to wake up at 4:30 am, I was less than enthused about running 8 miles this morning. Last week was a rough 7 miles. It was hot, it was humid and it was seven freaking miles!!

It was a beautiful morning for a run. It was about 65F, the sun was behind clouds and there was a slight breeze coming from the east. Jim and Samantha were there and ready to go as well.

After a brief discussion, we planned to run to the 4 mile mark and then turn back around. This would put us finishing right near the parking rather than almost a mile walk back.

This was an awesome run. The three of us running set a nice, easy pace and were able to converse after the first mile. All of us are new runners so it takes us about a mile to warm up and get moving well.

Last week, Samantha made it 5.5 miles, Jim a little more before dropping to a short walk. This week, I don't know what got into but it felt like we just sailed through these 8 miles. I love it when runs come together like this, when you feel great, when your body cooperates and it just clicks

1 mile: 12:23
2 mile: 12:58
3 mile: 12:54
4 mile: 12:54
5 mile: 12:59
6 mile: 12:57
7 mile: 13:04
8 mile: 12:47
Total time: 1:42:58
Average pace: 12:52

We had to laugh at how we managed to stay pretty darn consistant through the entire run. Let me tell you, we were all thrilled that we finished the 8 miles with no walking. I had wanted to finish in 1:45 and we did! We grabbed our water and then did a half mile cool down walk as well.

I actually felt better after my 8 miles this morning than I did after 3 miles yesterday.

No comments: