Friday, October 06, 2006

Mwahahahaha

The truth was revealed this morning when I met Chuck for our friday run. He could laugh evilly since he was not running! He has a 10 mile race tomorrow so he came out to coach me.

You get so used to seeing people in shorts/shirts...running stuff. I didn't even recognize him at first since he was wearing pants, shirt, jacket, hat and had a dog with him. I actually asked if I could pet the dog, Dash, before I realized it was Chuck!

Today was a track workout. It was under 60F but I still had on no sleeves.. There was also a fierce wind blowing that felt like it was trying to push me backwards for half of the track.

After a 1/2 mile warm up (5:00), Chuck had me do 4x100m strides. The first one, I was actually leaning forward and it felt like I was going to fall flat on my face. The wind was also making me feel like I was going to tip over to one side. I didn't time my strides but did take a 15-20 second break between each one. It was just weird how he wanted me to do these, pumping my arms and lifting my knees almost in a pardody of what I normally do. He was happy with what I did though.

Then Chuck had me doing 3x1200m. He said he wanted me to run a lap in 2:30. I just raised an eyebrow at him and he laughed at me. Usually, when we do these, Chuck runs with me and I start out way too fast. Today, I was all by my lonesome from the get go so found my stride much easier.

My first 1200m was 7:17 (9:42 pace!!) with a HR of 160 at the end.
Second 1200m was 7:28 (9:57 pace!!) with a HR of 164 at the end
Third 1200m was 7:35 (10:06 pace!!) with a HR of 156 at the end.

I had 1/2 mile cool down at 5:22

We have never done heart rate before but he said he wanted to see it in 160-189 and that it was good that it was consistant for all of them. I think he had planned to do one more 1200m but my shins started to hurt. I need to ice again.

I am just really stunned at those pace times because it didn't feel like I was going that fast. Chuck thinks I would have been faster if not for the wind. He said he could see me slow down in the wind.

Next up is a 12 mile run on Sunday. Chuck is not sure he is going to be back so Mr. Garmin will be our coach and tell us where to turn around. He said he would like to see us complete it in 2:15:00, I am thinking over 2:30:00 is more likely.

No comments: