Thursday, October 19, 2006

Yay!

I had Monday off, which is always nice following a long run. It was even more nice after 13.1 miles.

Monday I decided to go out on my sock quest. I had planned to go to Kohls and R3. R3 is closed on Mondays...whooops. As it was, I found what I was looking for at Kohls. They did have the Adidas ClimaLite performance socks.

So far, I have run a 4 mile run, a track workout (5 miles) and an easy 5K in these socks, in two different pairs of shoes with no repeat blisters. I think I have found the perfect thickness I was looking for. Of course, I will know better after my 8 mile LSD this week.

Yesterday, I met Chuck, Lucas, Brittany and Jim at the track for the weekly track workout. We ran around campus for our mile warm up (10:40!) and then headed into the track.

We did strides first, 4x100. Since Brittany runs significantly faster than both me and Jim, Chuck had Lucas pacing Brittany for the rest of the workout while he paced us slower folks. We were doing 3x400/800/400.

Now, if you read this blog on a fairly regular basis...you know that I always doubt Chuck when he gives me a time to run. I don't doubt Chuck really, I doubt my ability and his faith in it. You would think I would learn but when he said he wanted me to do 400m in 2:00, I could not control the snort. He sighed and said I could do it since I did 2:15 last time in wind. Can you guess what happened? Yes, I did my first 400m in 2:07. Did I mention it was pretty hot? Seriously, we were close to 80F after being below freezing over the weekend.

400m-2:07
800m-4:41
400m-2:13

400m- I am not sure of my time here. I twisted my ankle off the inside of the track right after we started. Naturally, I stopped, we checked it out and after Chuck made sure I was not in pain, I continued the lap. I am guessing it was maybe 2:15
800m-4:58
400m- 2:23

After this set, I could feel where something was not right so Chuck had me just do a very easy 1.5 mile cool down (17:37). Based on where I was feeling not right, Chuck thinks I rolled my ankle and pulled a muscle. Once I got home, I iced and then alternated ice/heat.

This evening, I was scheduled for 4 miles. We had discussed this last night when I bobbled off the track. If I felt any pain or anything at all, I was to skip my run and just walk 2 miles. If I felt okay, I could do an easy 3 miles and it felt okay, do an additional mile.

I set out and towards the 3 mile mark, I could feel the same muscle so I called it a night at 3.15 miles (36:51) I am currently icing again. I will reevaluate again tomorrow before I go out for a 5 mile run.

I am not going to risk injuring myself so if there is any tenderness or feeling of not right, I am going to skip the 5 miles and walk 2. Of course, before my 8 miles, I will do the same.

On a non injury related note, on Runners World Forums, someone gave a link to Running Funky This place has the coolest running tights, shorts, shirts, capris...stuff! I really want to get a pair of tights. I can't decide on pattern though....too many to choose from. I am thinking a pair for Christmas!

No comments: