Saturday, November 18, 2006

8K Turkey Trot

Today was the Turkey Trot here in town. I went upstairs to see if Kaitlyn wanted to run since last night she was somewhat wishy washy about it. She did want to go so she got ready. In the process, Kierynn woke up but was willing to lay in bed and watch TV so she didn't wake anyone else up.

We made it out to the mall and got Kaitlyn registered. There were only XL and XXL Turkey Trot shirts left so Kaity got an R3 shirt instead.

I had seen Chuck setting up the timer but didn't see Brittany anywhere. She found me though so we did our almost mile warm up. Right after our warm up, Samantha found me as well.

Now, whoever said that this was a relatively flat course LIED. Oh sure, there were some flat sections but it was most certainly not flat.

I had talked to Kaity before the race started, she wanted to know if she had to stay with me or she could run at her own pace. I said she could run at her own pace and if she wanted to take off, she could or if she wanted to lag back, she could. I started out entirely too fast but the first hill got me under control and I settled down to a better pace.

This was sorta an out and back course. We went down a road, turned around and came almost back before turning down a different road. After we crossed over the interstate, we turned around again and went back to the start.

Brittany, of course, finished long before I did and came out to run me in. Right as we approached the finish, she told me to stride out so I did. I passed a friend of mine, Teresa. She decided that she would not be passed and she kicked it in. I almost beat her but she pulled ahead of me in the chute.

Brittany was a bit peeved at this. Once I was in the chute ahead of her, she felt that Teresa should have let me go on ahead. I don't think it was that big of a deal although I would have been irked had it been someone I didn't know that did it.

I don't have my official time and I forgot to stop the Garmin when I crossed. When I did stop, it said my time was 53:17.

Brittany and I both went out to run Kaity in. She finished in just over 57 minutes. She was also the youngest runner on the course. There was a team from one of the schools running in her age group so she didn't place. All the girls who placed in her age group where 4-5 years older. Grant made sure she still got a first place ribbon.

Tomorrow I have a 7 mile run scheduled for the back 40 with Chuck, Brittany and Samantha.

No comments: