Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Knowing Your Limits

Nothing sucks more than having to come face to face with limitations when you don't want to admit to them.

Before the 5K on Saturday, I had felt the beginnings of a cold coming on. I tanked up on vitamin C, drank fluids and had no problems running. Things went downhill later in the day and by Sunday morning, I was feeling not so great.

Despite the fact that I wasn't feeling 100%, I decided to go out and meet everyone for my LSD. We had an 8 mile scheduled. On the way there, I was having some serious coughing fits but thought that once I started to run, everything would clear up and I would be okay.

Chuck announced we would do a 10 mile instead, which everyone was okay with. We started and I knew I was in trouble right away. I still tried for 1.5 miles before the stop, cough, run cycle was too much. At that point, I waved Jim on ahead of me.

Even though I could not run, I still walked 6 miles. I made it back just a little bit before everyone else did.

I was willing, my body just was not.

Since then, I have not run. I have been taking medicine and taking it as easy as I can. I have a 5 mile run on the schedule today but after talking to Chuck, I am sitting it out.

It just sucks, I would really like to be out there but I know in the long run, it would be better for me to sit it out until I am back to 100%

No comments: