Saturday, February 17, 2007

Fourteen...in the Books!

I had a 14 miler scheduled for today and I was not looking forward to this since it was very likely that it was going to have to be done on the hamster wheel. Eeek!!

We have been under a layer of ice and snow all week and I knew that the W&OD trail was just going to be a mass of solid ice. I drove past my starting point on Thursday and sure enough, a mass of ice is what I saw.

There was no way for me to defer this or even break it up since I need these long runs to get prepared for the Pig. I looked for someone to do this run with but no takers for my distance and pace. I could not even bring along my normal support crew since she can't ride her bike on this kind of ice. It was looking more and more like the hamster wheel was my only option.

After walking very gingerly on the ice near my house, I decided to try the Screw Shoe option that was posted by Aluy over on Runner's World Beginner's Forum. Since our cordless screwdriver is located in a box in our garage somewhere, we predrilled holes using a drill bit. It worked out great. I used my Reeboks since they are the shoes that have the most milage on them and I don't use them as much.



I went outside to test out the shoes and after watching my husband slide down the hill and around the cul de sac, I had no problems walking as surefooted as a mountain goat. Baa!

This morning it was 6F when I got up so I waited until it was over 15F before I set out. I figured even if it didn't work out and I was forced onto the hamster wheel, at least I gave it a shot.



The trailed looked okay so I started out. Right off, I had to go to the side because the tracks made before the snow/sleet froze made the footing too tricky to safely run. The side of the trail was mainly smooth and made running nice. Crunch, crunch, crunch is what it sounded like as I made my way.

About 2 miles into my run, some yahoo had been on the trail with an ATV, which is not permitted. This made the footing even worse but I continued on and eventually got to trail that was nice to run on. I passed a few people walking dogs, one runner sliding down a hill and that was about it. I made it to my turn around point in the time I wanted, it felt like a nice, easy 7 miles.

I called home so husband would know I was still breathing and not gasping on the side of the trail with a compound fracture. I pulled out of my stylish Charizard backpack (because I could not find my fuel belt...see cordless screwdriver above) some Carb Boom to take and planned to chase it with some water.

Now, here is where my brain left me. I could have sworn I brought 3 bottles of water with me, 2 for after the run and 1 to have during my run. Before I left my van, I pulled 2 bottles out of the backpack...which should have left 1 in there. What was left in there was...none. Apparently, I only grabbed 2 bottles of water and they were both sitting on the passenger seat of my van...right where I left them. Auuugghh!! Carb Boom is not good without that water chaser.

Things continued along well on my way back even if I knew I was going a bit slower. About mile 9.5, I noticed a new sound that was replacing my crunch, crunch, crunch. It was slush, slush, slush. On the heels of slush, slush, slush was a WHOOMP sound as I would crash through the layer of ice down to the snow below. This was not a fun time but I slogged through a few more miles of this.

By mile 12, it was becoming dangerous. I had sure footing on the smooth side of the trail but the sun coming out was melting it enough for me to fall through the crust and twist an ankle. My other option was attempt to run the middle of the trail, where the jerky ATV riders churned up the snow making it incredibly uneven and an ankle breaker. That left the final option...walk and pick my way through the crevices of snow to the end.

Broken ankle, twisted ankle or slower time but finish the milage....c'mon, it was not that hard of a choice. Today's run was about the milage, not speed so of course I chose to walk. I did try to run on areas where I could do it safely but it would only last a few feet before conditions made me walk again. This added a lot more time to my run but again, it was about distance, not speed today.

I saw my van getting closer and closer to me and then I was done! I did it!! I ran fourteen freaking miles SOLO, on an ice covered trail, in below freezing weather and I did it!! Yeah, pass the sling so I can rest my arm after patting myself on the back here.

I am glad I did it. Except for the last two miles, it was an awesome run and simply beautiful to be out running in the fresh air, hearing the birds and just running.

No comments: