Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Snow, Ice and Buffy

Wowie, we got hit with some snow, ice and sleet...which made going outside to walk dangerous, there was no way I was planning to attempt to run on it.

It is not a secret that I am not a fan of the treadmill. It is a necessary evil, one that I deal with because I have no other viable option. I know a lot of people watch TV while on a treadmill but I never have. I tried to watch TV on the elleptical at the gym but I found it very distracting, all the other people and treadmills, different speeds and differing things on various TV screens.

I asked my husband to bring down a TV and DVD to the basement so I could try it out. We hooked it up, I popped in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I never watched Buffy when it aired so decided this was a good time to try it out. Netflix delivered a new DVD today so the timing was right. I cranked up the volume on the TV, put on subtitles and off I went. Yes, before someone asks...I normally always put on subtitles when I watch DVDs since there is usually a lot of noise in my house.

I am amazed at how much faster my four miles went tonight as opposed to running with just music. I think it is because there is something to look at other than the walls staying stationary and it engages the brain, if only a little bit. I also turned off a few of the lights so it was dim...much easier to not look at the treadmill display.

I am not going to break any speed records on the treadmill but at least now, it will be marginally better than a visit to the dentist (no offense to any dentists out there...a very bad childhood related dental visit is the root of my dread of dentists)

No comments: