Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Look at Me!



I feel like a hamster running on a wheel when I run on the treadmill. Run, run, sweat, sweat and you get NOWHERE! Of course, I do get the benefit of the workout but it is mind numbing and boring.

The weather has taken an artic turn and it is actually too dangerous to run outside. It was 5F outside this morning with wind chills dropping the temperature even lower.

I have never made it a secret that I dislike running on a treadmill but really, what other option do I have? I already feel behind in my Flying Pig schedule and taking time out for weather is just not an option.

I fired up my iPod yesterday, got dressed and made my way to the basement. I set the treadmill at 3% incline and slogged through to complete a 3 mile run. THEN I checked to see where I should have set the treadmill. Apparently a 1-2% incline is recommended. Oh well, lesson learned.

A painful lesson learned was to watch where my hands are. Once I get going, I sorta zone out and tend to drift over to the left when I run...not sure why. If I am not careful....CRACK!!! My knuckles will make contact with the bars on the side of the display. Ouch, it was a painful lesson that I was subjected to twice before I got it. I think I may have cracked a bone since I have a spectacular bruise on my left knuckles today. When I say knuckle..I mean the one where my fingers meet my hands.

I looked at my schedule and quivered inside when I saw that I was going to attempt a 6 mile run. Yikes! I had to really struggle to make 3 miles yesterday and now I was going to contemplate 6?

I did approach it a bit differently tonight. I made sure that I was wearing a wicking shirt (it got darn hot in my cotton shirt yesterday), I found my gum and I sternly told myself that there would be NO skipping songs on the iPod.

I threw my towel over the display (or I become like a lion watching an antelope limp by...just out of reach....I stare intently) and started. Oh, I also adjusted the incline to 1.5% (lowest it would go) I was sweltering within 2 miles and my wonderful, sweet husband kindly brought a floor fan and set it up to cool me off.

It was a much easier workout this evening, for all that I went twice as far. Having gum really helped. I always have gum when I run and it was weird to not have it yesterday. The fan blowing on me helped. I counted songs...I would check my display every 5 songs (about a mile)

I am slower while on the treadmill, when I crank it to my normal outside pace, I feel like I am going to fly off the back. I did my six miles though! All six of them! I am pretty proud of myself for doing that. It was very tempting to stop at 4, then 5, then 5.5 but I stuck with it. I am really hoping the temps are up next week so I can run during the week. The weather looks good for my 9 miler this weekend.

No comments: