Thursday, October 14, 2004

No Abs

Today proved to me one thing, something I already knew. I have no abs.

I met with Theresa, the trainer, this morning. After taking my measurements and weight (EEK!), we outlined what I wanted to accomplish, how many times I could realistically make it to the gym each week and what classes I was planning to take. In addition to the Step classes I have been taking, she wants me to add in some weight training.

She showed me several weight machines, how to set them to the correct weight/height and how to do the actual exercise. Once I got to the ab machine, I discovered that I have none. Or I should say, they are there...they just protest if I ask them to work. The machines are not difficult but I know I will feel it when I do them. Naturally, she also told me about drinking plenty of water and eating better.

After the kids got home from school, we headed back to the gym. Glori and I went to the 5:30 step class being taught by a lady named Harris. So far, I have taken 3 classes with 3 different instructors. Christy, yesterday, was very easy to follow. Harris is even easier to follow and doesn't do as many combination moves. Susan, the first instructor I went to, is like the energizer bunny on crack. She whips your butt. It is interesting how they all differ but I feel like I get a decent work out with all of them.

I did a lot better tonight, even Christy said she could see a difference. I got lost and out of step any time I tried to think about what I was doing. One of my biggest problems is I try to lead with my left foot always. It comes from having been in the military where you always, always, always lead with the left. I just need to retrain my brain and feet.

At the end of class, we used the big beach ball thing. That really drove home to me that I have no abs. It is also hard to get used to since I feel like I am going to slide off right onto my rear any second. I didn't do all the stuff but I did what I could. I know it will get easier.

Tomorrow is a gym free day and will be until Monday. Our Cub Scout Pack is camping out this weekend so I won't have the opportunity to go in. See you all on Monday!

No comments: