Saturday, January 12, 2008

Priorities and Ponies

Is it a law written down somewhere that if something crucial to family life (more so in a big family) is going to stop working on the weekend? Our dryer fritzed out on us (again) in the middle of weekly laundry. This meant we had 2 loads of wet laundry and about 5 loads of unwashed clothing. After much debate, we continued to wash clothing and bagged it. Once all of it was washed, the wet laundry was carted to a local laundry place and dried. Now, we have huge bags of clean but dry laundry to fold. We do have a service call in but I suspect it will be close to next weekend, if not the following week before it gets repaired. Yuck. I would love to be able to have 2 washers and driers someday.

As you can imagine, this put a huge kink in my running plans. I was getting ready to go out running when a sweet little voice said "Mommy, can you help me with my ponies?" Maybe you are made of sterner stuff but I couldn't tell her no. So, I spent 2 hours with 15 ponies, a 4 year old and we made them beautiful by brushing out all their tangled manes and tails. If you think it was easy, I dare you attempt it. Hasbro, who makes My Little Pony, needs to come up with a non-tangling mane and tail. I can say with authority now that the newer ponies are much easier to de-tangle. Some of these ponies were inherited from my 11 year old and you can tell which ones but the matted mane and tail.



On the basketball front, the Tigersharks did much better today! I can see where things are starting to click with them. We had a pair of excellent refs today too. Rather than just blowing the whistle and redirecting the ball, they took the time to explain to the kids why the whistle was blown, what would happen next and tell them which side to go to. They also would redirect any wandering boy. The boys wear color coded sweat bands on their wrist. Whoever on the gold team is weaing the green band, he guards the blue team member wearing the green band. It really helps them out. Iain played several of the sessions and did awesome. He has a traveling problem, not uncommon. He gets the ball, dribbles and if anyone gets close, he snatches it up and runs for the basket. We are working on it, we are working on it.

ORN: What the heck does this mean, anyway? I admit freely I acquired it from John "The Penguin" Bingham. He explains it better than me. ORN means "Obligatory Running Note", from the original Dead Runners Society list that required every post to have some running content No, I was never on that list but I still like ORN

No comments: