Thursday, January 24, 2008

Spirit of the Marathon

A Jenny update: Her biopsy showed it is not AML, her WBC is going down and she is feeling good. They are still checking to rule things out but it was incredible to see the milage being ran for Jenny yesterday.

Today was a special showing of the movie Spirit of the Marathon It follows six runners as they prepared for the 2005 Chicago Marathon. We got tickets for it a few weeks ago and I was really looking forward to seeing it.

All I can say is : How freaking awesome! It was so inspiring to see "normal" people as well as elite runners preparing. I had to laugh (as did everyone) when a 26 yr old who was running her first marathon relayed the following:

"I tell my friends I am running a marathon and they ask me if I expect to win. Win? (laughs) No, I will be happy to finish!" Isn't that the truth? Why does everything have to be about winning? I only "race" against myself and I "win" everytime I get out there and finish a race.

It is just incredible to see these elite runners finishing 26.2 miles in just over 2 hours. I can't event finish 13 miles in that time. So they run twice as far as I can and faster. Incredible.

Go see this movie if you have the chance, there is a repeat showing on February 21. Check the website above for a theater near you. It is worth it!

ORN: I saw a movie about running, does that count?

No comments: